/usr/home vs /home

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Feb 18 16:27:23 UTC 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:56:28 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> /usr/local/libexec is used by the programs usually initiated by users.
> As per the man /libexec contains sub programs for those in /bin or /sbin.
>
> The programs are usually run by users, or run as a user themselves
> (multiuser mode).

Daemons also seem to reside there, and those are typically
called by the system "automatically".

> Single-user mode v multiuser mode. Most of those in /bin /sbin are
> required minimal to revive a non functioning system.

I think "man hier" summarizes it very nicely.

> I think you _could_ use /usr/local/etc/rc.conf (or .local). I'd have to
> look it up to be sure, but I'm sure I've stumbled on it. Most of us are
> lazy though :) easier in just one file... besides, handbook says so so
> it must be right :)

>From "man rc.conf" (3rd paragraph) I can see that the use
of /etc/rc.conf.local is possible. I have to be honest: I
did never use it on FreeBSD, just a nice big

	################# non-OS ####################

comment barrier, followed by all the stuff one does not
really need. :-)

If the local_startup directories list contains /usr/local,
I think even /usr/local/etc/rc.conf could be possible, but
I haven't investigated on this any further.

> X11 I think is. It just isn't completely filled with the conf files -
> but you can override the globals there if you choose. It does get
> confusing though.
>
> XDM is an embarrassment :P It _should_ be run as a daemon from rc.conf,
> but you set it in /etc/tty, so no real surprise that its conf files are
> chaotic too...

Some of the xdm config files have the possibility to override
them, but in the xdm/ subtree (in /usr/local/lib/X11!) there
are files with hardcoded paths. I think a better separation
of configuration and library items should be provided, and
a startup per rc.d/ file (such as kdm and gdm provide them)
should be possible.

I'm not sure how wdm (the WindowMaker display manager) handles
it - I assume it also uses the /etc/ttys entry.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany