Adobe Linux Flash (Success)

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sat Feb 18 01:24:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 07:48:31PM -0500, sean wrote:

> On 02/17/12 19:27, sean wrote:
> >

> >Now when I run nspluginwrapper -v -a -i as a user I get the following,
> >
> >Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
> >Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
> >Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
> >Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
> >Install plugin
> >/usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
> > ... already installed system-wide, skipping
> >Auto-install plugins from /home/sean/.mozilla/plugins
> >Looking for plugins in /home/sean/.mozilla/plugins
> >
> I noticed in the above information that it was looking for the flash
> plugin in the plugins directory under .mozilla.
> There was no such directory.
> I created the directory and ran nspluginwrapper again and flash is now
> listed and working.
> It seems to flicker on occasions a bit but it is running.
> Are there any tuning options that might be available to get rid of the
> occasional flicker?
>
> Thanks all,
> Sean

Glad you got it working. Maybe the Handbook needs
correcting/expanding.

I don't get the flicker that you speak of but on occasion Firefox can
peg  back a core 100% constantly and I have to restart the browser. I
think this is probably flash related but I haven't investigated it. So
keep an eye on "top" output.

I'd recommend www/xpi-flashblock. You can whitelist sites such as
Youtube and the bbc whilst blocking the crappy flash adverts that are
a feature of too many sites on the web. Especially useful if you're on
a narrowband connection or metered.

Regards,

--

 Frank