FreeBSD 9, GPT and gmirror

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Wed Feb 8 19:00:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:42:59 -0500
Janos Dohanics <web at 3dresearch.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> May be I should have searched more for answers, but after installing
> FreeBSD 9 with gmirror, I am wondering if the experts here have some
> recommendations for "best practices".
>
> 1. The Guided partitioning doesn't suggest any more to
> create /var, /tmp, /usr, etc. file systems. Is it really the
> recommendation to go with just / ?

This is a bad recommendation I think, but you can accept guidance and
the adjust to your needs.

> 2. Is there a way to use the old sysinstall to install FreeBSD 9?

Yes, harder to use, or no the new installer should have some more sane
defaults

> 3. It seems that setting up gmirror is more involved with GPT
> (http://blather.michaelwlucas.com/archives/1071); now I have a mirror
> for each of the filesystems /, /var, /tmp, etc. Is it OK to use
> gmirror in this way at all?
>
> 4. Also, with GPT, one has to be in single user mode to synchronize
> disks - correct?
>
> 3. Assuming one has enough RAM, is zfs mirror or raidz recommended
> over gmirror?

gmirror, still I think

> Prior to FreeBSD 9, I used to take the the sysinstall defaults with
> some overrides as I thought appropriate and proceeded to set up
> gmirror - it was simple and not a lot of work, and a good way to make
> use of older systems...

I think the new installer is quite good, but needs some shaving around
the rough edges

Cheers

Disclaimer: http://www.ose.nl/email