package install problem on 9.0

Gary Aitken garya at dreamchaser.org
Wed Feb 8 03:37:38 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I installed 9-RELEASE on an SDD.  Hadn't done one since 6.2 so the new
install process was... different.

Was surprised not to have the x-user type install scenario.  Since the
handbook install doc says to use sysinstall for ports and packages, I
started up sysinstall and told it to install xorg-server, firefox,
thunderbird for starters.  It claimed it installed, and pkg_info says
there's a boatload of stuff installed, but I can't find an X11 directory
or executables anywhere.  Also can't find any distfiles.  Previous X
installs started up the server and tuned it, but nothing happened in
that regard either.

clues?

Thanks,

Gary