pxeboot.bs and vlan tagging

Rick Miller vmiller at hostileadmin.com
Mon Feb 6 16:33:06 UTC 2012

>> 2) do you fetch the kernel successfully?
>>
>> When using tftp, The kernel and kernel modules are fetched before the memory
>> file system, so do pxeboot fetch the kernel but not the mfsroot?
>>
>> The reason for these questions is that your problem may be with the kernel
>> and kernel modules and not pxeboot. Just to be sure.
>
> I see what you are saying.  We will have to look at the packet
> captures to make that determination.

The target system loads pxeboot.bs and consequently requests the
following files:

/boot/boot.4th (which it does not find)
/boot/loader.rc
/boot/loader.4th
/boot/support.4th
/boot/defaults/loader.conf
/boot/device.hints
/boot/loader.conf

It is at this point where the failure occurs.  The contents of loader.conf are:

mfsroot_load="YES"
mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"

Does this seem consistent with what you were theorizing that it's the
kernel that has the problem with vlan tagging and not pxeboot.bs?

--
Take care
Rick Miller