fixating USB Storage

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 09:53:23 UTC 2012

On Saturday 04 February 2012, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned it to you in
> response to this question, but I just very recently switched over to
> using volume labels to mount my partitions instead of device names.
>  I was having an ongoing issue where this external USB drive's device
> number assignment would change from one boot to the next, toggling
> back and forth between da0 and da4 (strange!).

Sounds similar to my experience. Normally my internal 4 slot memory card
reader is assigned devices da[0-3] and when the USB memory stick is
inserted it comes up as da4. If the USB stick is present on booting
then it appears as da0 and the card reader is da[1-4]. So it looks like
occupied slots are given priority when numbers are assigned at boot
time.

--
Mike Clarke