Listen to file changes

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Dec 14 10:34:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 01:45:43 -0800 (PST), Jack Mc Lauren wrote:
> Hi all
> I want to monitor files access and change time. How can I
> listen to specific file or directory to monitor ? I'm coding with c.

If I remember correctly, what you're searching for does already
exist: FAM - the File Alteration Monitor. It's in the ports
collection (/usr/ports/devel/fam). There are also C++ and
Ruby bindings, maybe you can also interface with C...

For C: Maybe using readdir() et al. could be useful? Also see
"man 5 inode", "man 5 dir" and "man 3 readdir" for more info.
And struct ufs2_dinode in /usr/include/ufs/ufs/dinode.h should
have the information you need to parse for; maybe also check
the FILE type in /usr/include/stdio.h for access flags.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany