Somewhat OT: Is Full Command Logging Possible?

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Sat Dec 8 10:39:20 UTC 2012

On 8 Dec 2012, at 03:13, Devin Teske <devin.teske at fisglobal.com> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> --On December 7, 2012 10:23:56 AM +0100 Fleuriot Damien <ml at my.gd> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry to say it won't.
>>> Nothing will prevent a user from removing sudoscript's FIFO once he gets
>>> root privileges.
>>>

>> Well, sure, but, if someone logs in and sudos to root, that will be logged by sudoscript.  If the logging then ceases, that would be cause for disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
>>

> What about the case of:
>
> sudo vim
>
> or
>
> sudo vim file
>
> Surely that wouldn't raise an eyebrow, but…
>
> Then execute within vim:
>
> :sh
>
> or
>
> ^_^
> --
> Devin
>
> … and another gem …
>
> sr env HOME=$HOME vim
>
> then
>
> :E

My point exactly, such levels of protection can't be reached on our day to day OSes.

The only thing that can be done is trying to approach the expected level of scrutiny and security.

The audit framework is a viable solution IMO, as long as it has limited protection against kills (restart it, send a SMS alert...)