Warning - FreeBSD (*BSD) entanglement in Linux ecosystem

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 14:09:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

here is an interesting comment (basically echoing other people's view) on
Linux developments:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120820
Reader Comments
"1 o Arch and systemd (by Microlinux on 2012-08-20 10:11:39 GMT from France)
Much has been said on the subject of Systemd. Let me quote Eric Hameleers, one
of Slackware's developers.

"[...] systemd is essentially evil. It is invasive, extremely hostile to other
 environments, threatening to kill non-Linux ecosystems which have hal, udev,
 dbus, consolekit, polkit, udisks, upower and friends as dependencies. And
 every iteration of the software written by the Redhat employees who are
 responsible for hal, udev, consiolekit, polkit and now systemd are
 incompatible with previous releases, re-implementing their bad ideas with new
 bad ideas... basically proving that these Redhat employees must be declared
 unfit to work on the core of a Linux distro. However, the influence of their
 employer is so big that these products are forced upon the wider UNIX
 community and at some point it will be "assimilate or die". I hope we
 (Slackware) will find a way where we do not have to assimilate but still
 manage to keep the distro working. I have high hopes for KDE which has no
 Redhat ties and so far, manages to stay clear of this mess, sticking to
 widely accepted standards."

Cheers from a Slackware user."

For those of you who are unfamiliar - systemd is a replacement for SysV, LSB,
and Upstart init subsystem scripts.

Together with some other technologies like GNOME 3 (soon GNOME OS ?) they are
aiming at being Microsoft-like Linux distro (soon OS ?).

On my FreeBSD machine:
$ ls /var/db/pkg/
hal-0.5.14_19/
dbus-1.4.14_i3/
consolekit-0.4.3/
polkit-0.99/
upower-0.9.7/

Also, once again I refer to Linux-related ports in *BSD ecosystem
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=linux&stype=all
and warn against becoming entangled in affairs of Linux ecosystem.

jb