doc

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Aug 18 10:16:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 03:43:58 +0200
Polytropon articulated:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 13:17:42 +0400, иван кузнецов wrote:
> > how to open RU_FREEBSD_DOC_20111014.TBZ under windows?
>
> The file is a tar archive compressed with BZip2. It's no real
> surprise that "Windows" cannot natively handle it, as with many
> established standard formats. :-)
>
> > several program cant,i was attempt.7zip cant.
>
> It's not a 7zip archive; still the 7zip page on http://7-zip.org/
> mentions that the BZip2 format is supported.
>
> However, there's BZip2 available for "Windows", maybe this
> can help you: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm
>
> There are also claims that "WinRAR" is able to extract BZip2
> files.

WinZIP® <http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm> is perfectly capable of
handling the following file types:

    Zip (.zip)
    Zipx (.zipx)
    RAR (.rar)
    7Z (.7z)
    BZ2 (.bz, .bz2, .tbz, .tbz2)
    LHA/LZH (.lha, .lzh)
    Cabinet (.cab)
    Disc Image (.img, .iso)
    TAR (.tar)
    GZIP (.gz, .taz, .tgz)
    Compress (.tz, .z)
    UUencode (.uu, .uue)
    XXencode (.xxe)
    MIME (.b64, .mim)
    BinHex (.bhx, .hqx)
    Most other compressed files

I was personally responsible for having the "7Z" format added several
years ago.

By the way Poly, FreeBSD does not handle all types of compressed files
natively any more than Windows does. There are also add-ons available
to handle some really obscure formats.

--
Jerry ♔