compare zfs xfs and jfs o

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Mon Aug 6 03:12:38 UTC 2012

--As of August 5, 2012 10:29:16 AM -0600, Chad Perrin is alleged to have
said:

>> I think that XFS & JFS are more mature filesystems than ZFS, but the
>> feature set of ZFS i ahead in the future. For a NFS server first
>> I'll go with ZFS because the consistence in disk and speed will
>> gonna be the differentiator.
>
> The idea that ZFS is faster than XFS is certainly a new one for me.  Do
> you have some benchmarks for that?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Particularly in this use-case: From my reading ZFS has a performance hit
when used as a base filesystem for NFS.  (Largely because it insists on
*actually following* the NFS spec, and not taking some shortcuts that are
common elsewhere...)  Not that I have tested that, even on my NFS server.
(Which runs ZFS - there are other excellent reasons to use it, and speed
isn't a major concern for that particular box.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.