recommendation(s) for new computer

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Mon Apr 30 10:41:58 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Monday 30 April 2012 15:38:38 krad wrote:

> > - AMD FX-8150

I am also considering this one for the next buy.

> > - Corsair Vengeance 16GB Kit
> > [Note: This combination is known to work because a friend has exactly
> > those components.]

I would use ECC on a machine like this if it is available at your location.

> > - Enermax Platimax 600W

I do not know about your location but at mine power supplies have the tendency to have  a short life due to lightning strikes in the area. Get a cheaper model but buy two. I just ran into this problem but did not have a second one for the affected machine. The new one fits only upside down into the box with all the consequences.

> > You might have noticed that there is no graphics board. That is the
> > actually problem I am having: Should I go with AMD or nVidia? I remember

> > I doubt that I will be doing any gaming under FreeBSD (although I once
> > did get Warcraft 3 to run using Wine). However, I do want to be able to
> > use 3D effects on the desktop. What I am asking basicly is, what vendor

I have something from nVidia but do not use 3D at all.

> > Thanks for your time, thoughts and suggestions!

You are welcome.

Erich