editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Apr 25 08:32:22 UTC 2012

On 04/24/12 20:02, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 01:33:58PM -0500, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:50:26 +0100
>>> From: Anton Shterenlikht<mexas at bristol.ac.uk>
>>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>>> Subject: editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U
>>>
>>> My daughter is doing a touch typing course
>>> that presumes MS Word. So far she was fine
>>> with pico, but now they want the kids to
>>> practice CTRL/B (bold), CTRL/I (italic),
>>> CTRL/U (underline). She really needs to use
>>> these particular combinations because that
>>> is how the on-line assessment tool is set out.
>>>
>>> I use nothing but vi, so have no clue which,
>>> if any, editor from ports/editors will have
>>> these particular combinations implemented.
>>>
>>> Please recommend one, preferably as simple
>>> and as small as possible.
>>
>> Sorry *NO* 'text editor' has those capabilities, let alone has
>> them on those key sequences.
>>
>> Those are 'word processor' functions.  word processor' software
>> is required.
>
> I know, I know..
>
> I don't know why in a touchtyping course
> you need to teach kids this, but..
>
> Anyway, abiword seems to do what I need.
>
> Let me know if there's anything lighter.

For a no brain, no effort solution, how about Google Docs?

Otherwise, you might want to take a look at the port www/tinymce3. It's
a JavaScript editor that runs in a browser and does word processorish
things. You can see what it's like at

http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php

(Javascript needed, fairly obviously :-)

Caveat: I've never used it seriously, Abiword and/or Google Docs cover
the few times I need to be compatible with the Windows world.