Ports Libraries - Shared object "libz.so.5" not found

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Tue Apr 24 15:39:35 UTC 2012

On 24.04.2012 10:07, Carolyn Longfoot wrote:
> I'm on 9.0 Release AMD64 and did not have Compat8x installed from
> ports which fixed the issue, but I am wondering what (apart from
> upgrading *all* ports) would be the correct approach to find out
> which
> port needs to be updated so that whatever references the libz.so.5
> version instead of libz.so.6 gets updated?
>
> This is very confusing to me because I got the error with php, and I
> am on the very latest php5-5.3.10_1 version which I would expect to
> reference current libraries.
>
> Now I also have a problem with libssl.so.7, which popped up with
> Samba36. Again I'm wondering what version provides the .7
> incarnation.
> I found a comment (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=21886)
> that this library is part of security/openssl but a reinstall just
> now
> of openssl only gave me libssl.so.8, so that's no longer valid.
> Creating a link to libssl.so.7 fixes the problem but is probably not
> the correct approach.
>
> I guess the summary of the above is the question how one should go
> about keeping/getting the right library versions. Or is that really a
> port problem because they do not keep step with dependencies?
>
> An explanation in layman's terms would be appreciated :-)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Caro

pkg_libchk from the sysutils/bsdadminscripts port should show you
anything that is pointing to a missing shared library.  Yes you should
rebuild the samba36 port so that it links against the new libssl.so.8
library.  I ran into a few of these when upgrading from openssl-1.0.0_10
to openssl-1.0.1, I also believe I hit the libcrypto.so.7 missing as
well.  I temporary linked them as you did, then rebuilt all ports just
to be safe.

if you use portmaster to update ports, doing a -r on the openssl port
would have recompiled all the ports dependent on it.  However in my case
it blew up because of these missing libraries, adding a -w (causes
shared libraries to be kept) as well resolved this on the additional
machines I updated.

--
Thanks,
  Dean E. Weimer