ntpd problems after port updates

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Mon Apr 23 18:13:55 UTC 2012

I am running NTPD built from ports on system that has had world rebuilt
without ntp.  After doing some port updates this morning to the latest
OpenSSL which caused ntp to rebuild as its built against the OpenSSL
port.  ntpd now core dumps at start, in order to attempt and resolve the
issue I tried starting ntpd with the -d switch added, at which point it
loads fine without any problems.

NTP options set in rc.conf
# Enable NTP Daemon
ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid"
ntpd_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpd"

Only option checked when doing make config on the port is the with
OpenSSL option.

if I execute: /usr/local/bin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
The result is a signal 11 core dump.

if I execute: /usr/local/bin/ntpd -d -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
The result is a successful launch, but of course it doesn't detach from
the terminal and it start showing debugging logs on the terminal.

Anyone have any clue how I can determine what's causing it to crash
when started without the -d?

--
Thanks,
  Dean E. Weimer