converting UTF-8 to HTML

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Apr 22 09:17:19 UTC 2012

On 21/04/2012 16:10, Lars Eighner wrote:

> UTF-8 is a waste of storage for most people and is incompatiple with
> text-mode tools: it's simple another bid to make it impossible to run
> without a GUI.

UTF-8 is variable with, ascii characters are stored as single bytes (not
sure about iso-8859-1) while other characters are stored as two byte chars.

If your text tools cannot display certain or all UTF-8 characters it is
for one of the following reasons: it is either because the application
does not support UTF-8, the display table is missing some characters, or
the limited display capabilities of terminal/console mode and the
complexity of that particular glyph.

Neither of the first two cases are an agument against UTF-8, it's a it's
an implementation issue, send a bug report or feature request to the
developer.

In the last case, I hope you're not saying that we should limit the
fredom of expression to what can be expressed in console mode? :P

Cheers, Erik
--
M: +34 666 334 818
T: +34 915 211 157