converting UTF-8 to HTML

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Apr 21 13:13:17 UTC 2012

El día Saturday, April 21, 2012 a las 11:06:42AM +0200, Erik Nørgaard escribió:

> On 21/04/2012 08:29, Erik Nørgaard wrote:
> > Browsers understand UTF-8 perfectly, simply add <meta charset="utf-8" />
> > to the html header.
>
> Obviously I can't know what your project is, but you'll save yourself
> heaps of problems sticking to UTF-8, in particular if you plan on
> implementing any search functionality or have users submit content.
> Enforce and stick to UTF-8.

Well, it is no 'project'. I'm writing a diary of what's going on in my
life. And still doing it in ISO 8859-1 environment, but in HTML to
include pictures etc. ISO 8859-1 is still fine for it because I do it in
Spanish for some reasons, and ISO 8859-1 have enough chars, even the tilded
ones like áíóñ... but sometimes I need to include a phrase in another
language, Russian or Greek, or whatever (see the other mail). And so it
is nice to translate this to HTML encodings in ASCII.

That's all.

> When characters show up wrong in the users browser it's usually because
> the browser is set to use a non-UTF-8 charset by default such as
> windows-1252, the web server sends the charset=ascii in the http header
> and there is no or incorrect meta tag to resolve the problem. Non UTF-8
> charsets are a leftover from last millenia that we sometimes still choke
> on .. sorry the rant ;)

We all here are leftover from last millenia. :-)

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211