find sources to build Handbook and FAQ for FreeBSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Apr 21 06:04:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 00:50:20 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know where the source(s) for the FreeBSD Handbook and
> >> FreeBSD FAQ are found?
> >

> > SGML source is in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ and
> > /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/, or other subdirectories under /usr/doc
> > for other languages.  There's build infrastructure in /usr/doc/share.
>
> [olivares at tricorehome ~]$ cd /usr/doc/share
> bash: cd: /usr/doc/share: No such file or directory
> [olivares at tricorehome ~]$ cd /usr/doc/
> bash: cd: /usr/doc/: No such file or directory

See the /usr/ports/misc/freebsd-doc* ports. They will install
the documentation in a freebsd/ subtree at the obvious location.

	% ls /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd
	de@              en@              faq@
	de_DE.ISO8859-1/ en_US.ISO8859-1/ handbook@

As you can see from this example, I have the "en" and "de"
languages installed. The articles/ and books/ subtrees will
contain the HTML files.

> > Some description about the doc tools is in the FreeBSD Documentation Project
> > Primer at
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
>
> Thanks, but I am looking for \TeX{}/\LaTeX{} source files that are
> used to build the *.pdf versions of HANDBOOK, & FAQ.  If one does a
> properties on a PDF, we can see maker dvips + ghostscript 8.71.  This
> is what I am looking for, the files to produce that document[sources
> in tex/latex form] and see if I can produce it with what is readily
> available in kertex now.
>
> If I look in /usr/local/share/doc, these are not there either

I think that's because of the move of documentation out of the
base system, into separate ports for the supported languages.

SGML source files are in /usr/src/release/doc (part of
the system sources).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany