find -printf

Matthew Story matthewstory at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:27:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Eugen Konkov wrote:
> > checking 'man find' there is no -printf parametr.
> >
> > Does FreeBSD has different version of find utility compare to linux?
>
> Yes.  Linux comes with GNU find.
>
> > Maybe some knows workaroud for that?
>
> Install GNU find.

If you are working in a heterogenous environment, and do not want to
install lots of tools for consistency, I would recommend sticking to the
POSIX defined functionality/behaviors in all cases:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/find.html

If you only use functionality that is defined there, it should work on all
modern find implementations, regardless of OS, etc (that's more or less the
entire reason for the specification ...).  For older systems you might want
to stick to the 2004 specification:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009604599/utilities/find.html

> Regards,
> --