Can FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE mount Ext3 file system ?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Apr 18 19:26:39 UTC 2012

Hi,
Reference:

RW wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:12:41 +0200
> Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>

> > No mention of ext3 there, nor from find (above).
> >
> > .. so you May be out of luck ..
>
> ext3 is ext2+journalling. If fsck supports ext3, then it can sync the
> journal and the partition can be safely mounted as ext2.
>
> It's a long time since I've used ext3 so this may have changed, but
> when I did it needed an fsck from ports.

I tried to find that for original poster Xavier
(cc restored in case Xavier not on questions@), using
	cd /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports
	echo `find . -type f | xargs grep -i -l fsck` | xargs grep -i -l ext3
& got:
	./emulators/linux_base-c6/pkg-plist
	./emulators/linux_base-f10/pkg-plist
	./emulators/linux_base-fc4/pkg-plist
	./emulators/linux_dist-gentoo-stage3/pkg-plist.i486
	./emulators/linux_dist-gentoo-stage3/pkg-plist.i686

	./sysutils/e2fsprogs/Makefile
		COMMENT?=       Utilities & library to manipulate ext2/3/4 filesystems

Xavier, I suggest try /usr/ports/sysutils/e2fsprogs

I saw this warning building on 8.2-RELEASE:
	If you format ext2 file systems with other operating systems,
	make sure that mke2fs is called with "-I 128" for partitions
	that you plan to share with FreeBSD.
(Not tried building it on 9 as I'm rebuilding machine now.)

/usr/local/share/doc/e2fsprogs/
	COPYING
		http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net
Says there it supports ext3 & 4 too.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".