Xorg doesn't go back correctly to console when closed on FreeBSD 9.0

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Fri Apr 13 04:51:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Friday 13 April 2012 09:10:22 Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:13:00 -0300
> Gabriel Marchi <gabrielmarchi at bsd.com.br> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I´m running 9.0-RELEASE on my laptop, everything works fine, except
> > when I try go back to console I get a black screen.
> >
> > dmesg: http://pastebin.com/U45duS5n
> > xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/qERavJs0
> > Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/143m0gWB
> > pciconf: http://pastebin.com/ZfQ6daGC
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Gabriel Marchi
>
> I've noticed this same behavior for a while now, when running X using
> xinit (startx).  Upon exiting my X session, the X server doesn't
> shutdown, but has to be manually killed.

it is the same for 8.3 and before. I have this effect since many years on different machines with different versions. The effect comes and goes.

What works is switching to the console startx was called, hitting control C to kill X and start X again.

I do not bother much about this as I simply kill X from the calling console.

Erich