cups slow when printing from firefox

markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Mon Apr 9 17:07:14 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm struggling with a speed issue when trying to print stuff from
firefox (10.0.2,1). I've set up cups (meta package 1.5.2) on my box
which uses a Lexmark E360dn printer via ethernet. The printer has a
postscript emulation which is set as the default (as opposed to
PCL). I've used a PPD file from openprinting.org which claims that the
printer is 100% supported. Printing works fine in general with all
sorts of text and images, including PDF and LibreOffice and
whatnot. However, trying to print maps from maps.google.de sends one
CPU to 100% for a couple of minutes. Printing the same map from a
Debian box takes a couple of seconds. I can print the map to a file,
and print that file with lpr which also takes just a few seconds.

While printing from firefox directly, I noticed a process gsc owned by
cups which causes most of the CPU load. I take this as an indication
that the postscript output from firefox is incorrectly rasterized on
my box, instead of sending the postscript data directly to the
printer. I did not make any changes to the default config files except
for adding the printer through the localhost:631 interface.

Is there anything else that I need to configure, either on the firefox
or the cups end, to make printing maps faster?

regards
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka