Upgrade to 9.0 - Mount to root failed..

Airosoβicz fb. airosovicz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 13:51:41 UTC 2012

Hi Matthew,

Thanx for the quick reply.. Can't get it to work though..

On 08/04/2012 09:53, Airosoβicz fb. wrote:
> > So I've upgraded from 8.1 to 9.0 & now the system can't mount in single
> > user mode to go through the final step of installing the world..
>

> As was mentioned else-thread, you are probably hitting problems due to
> the name change from ad(4) to ada(4) for PATA/SATA disk devices.

It's starting to make sense now.. Mounting ufs:/dev/ad*a*2s1a i.o. from
ufs:/dev/ad2s1a simply doesn't work because as I've put in my original
post with # ls -l /dev/ad* it doesn't exist.. Only ad2,ad2s1 & ad2s1a do..

> One way to fix this is simply to type in the new boot device in the
> loader and then edit /etc/fstab from single user mode

 Which boot device..? I wish it was simple..

The preferred method nowadays is to label the partitions, so probably
> tunefs(8) labelling would be the best choice to get you through
> the 8.1 -> 9.0 reboot. ie.  Create the label:
>
>    # tunefs -L ROOT /dev/as2s1a

# man 8 tunefs: The tunefs can not be run on an active filesystem.
To change an active filesystem it must be downgraded to read only or
to unmounted.. [Which I've done with # mount -r -f..]

# tunefs: /dev/ad2s1a: failed to write superblock..

I've updated the /etc/fstab with the ROOT label but I can't get the
single-user mount nor the tunefs to work..

Regards,
E.