Access to Time Warner cable network

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sun Apr 1 22:20:13 UTC 2012

On 04/02/12 02:29, Jerry wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 01:27:36 +1000
> Da Rock articulated:
>
>> Until it loses that configuration and you're expected to delete it
>> and re-enter the connection details...
> Or until elephants fly, or whatever.

No. This is the common mantra for any Windows net technician.

>> Explain why it would be so hard to configure various functions as
>> file sharing and some of the more 'new' features for networking on
>> Windows then? A fellow IT colleague and I could not figure it out for
>> the life of us on the newer versions while it worked perfectly on the
>> old '95, '98, NT, 2k, XP systems. So no, Windows does not make
>> networking easier- in fact it has just about completely taken the
>> guts out of networking to abstract it from the user, making it nearly
>> impossible for a networking expert to configure.
> Just because an individual has a PHD does not make him an expert, in
> fact it could stand for "Pin Headed Dope". Everyone is an expert in
> something, just ask them. The fact that you were not smart enough to
> complete the task means nothing. If we were to use your reasoning, then
> if a single person could not configure networking in FreeBSD then
> FreeBSD networking sucks. That is just using your rational.

Both networking in FreeBSD _and_ Winblows can be difficult at times. My
point is that Winblows is not some magical fairy that can make
everything better. It doesn't. It quite often gets it wrong, and when it
does its a b**ch to fix- especially now with the newer versions; it just
just gets harder and harder to fix. And (forget your phd) considering
both myself and the other tech have _Microsoft_ certs and I topped in
networking in that same certification thats saying something, do you think?

>> I digress. In this case we're all only speculating as the OP hasn't
>> provided more detail, but it could be as simple as an unplugged
>> cable :)
> [...]
> I recently ran into a case where a user had a static
> IP assigned to a wireless printer. When he changed printers he could
> not get it to print because it was not being assigned the same IP as
> the old unit because he had failed to enter the new MAC address for the
> newer printer. A simple problem that took a few  hours before it dawned
> on him what the problem was. Actually, Windows did find the printer,
> CUPS couldn't.

Again with the magical fairy?