using clang (was: Re: ps, clang and make variables)

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Apr 1 18:02:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 09:06:08 -0400
Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> Conrad J. Sabatier writes:
>
> >  Note, too, that none of these exceptions have anything to do with
> >  my /usr/src builds.  I've been using clang for buildworld and
> >  buildkernel for quite some time now.
>
> 	I've heard that, but I think I'll wait until it becomes the
> official default.  :-)

I can well understand your hesitation.  I didn't jump on the clang
bandwagon for a good while myself, either.

But, from examining and comparing clang's assembly language output
against gcc's, it does seem pretty apparent that clang produces
some pretty darned efficient code, frequently using notably fewer
machine instructions than gcc, so I try to use it now as much as
possible.  I also find its error and warning messages to be much more
precise and informative than gcc's, which is a real boon if you do any
coding yourself.

There's that, plus the fact that the base system's version of gcc (4.2)
doesn't fully support my processor family type (amdfam10), whereas
clang does (although, to be fair, gcc 4.6+ does as well).

> >  Hope this helps somewhat.  :-)
>
> 	Very much.
> 	Thank you.

You'll come around eventually, no doubt.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net