Access to Time Warner cable network

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 1 13:35:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 20:52:26 -0400
Fbsd8 wrote:

> Da Rock wrote:
> > On 04/01/12 09:52, Fbsd8 wrote:
> >> Just purchased an account on the northern Ohio Time Warner cable
> >> system. Having problem connecting to their service. Seems their
> >> dhcp server has an ip address of 10.2.0.1 which is not public
> >> routable. I know my Freebsd 8.2 box functions because it worked
> >> fine under att service which I just left for Time Warner service.
> >> MY xp laptop works fine with time warner. I can see that during
> >> the connection hand shake they first issue ip addresses
> >> 192.168.x.x then end up with real public routable ip address for
> >> dns and my ip address. Just the dhcp ip is 10.2.0.1. XP seems to
> >> handle this connection hand shake ok.

I had a modem that did something similar, it issued a temporary private
ip address and the replaced it with a routable address.

The difference here is that the DHCP server is in a different address
block to the DHCP server, but I'm not sure that's a problem. I think
that FreeBSD associates  DHCP traffic with the interface its operating
on irrespective of normal routing.

> > Have you got a firewall or something else blocking dhcp from
> > communicating? What does ifconfig say?
> >
> No firewall running and NIC status is "no carrier"

This is what you get when something isn't plugged-in or turned-on.