Printer recommendation please

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Apr 1 09:14:51 UTC 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:20:41 +0200, Lino Miklav wrote:
> On 31.03.2012 00:16, Peter A. Giessel wrote:
> > It doesn't surprise me that Gutenprint doesn't have a setting
> > specifically for the 6500 because Xerox provides one:
>
> Uf, I have this idea to only use LPD and filters.

That should be no problem. If I read the specifications
for the Xerox Phaser 6280V DN correctly, it supports both
PS and PCL.

Here's an example for a PCL printer filter:

	#!/bin/sh
	printf "\033&k2G" || exit 2
	gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dPARANOIDSAFER -dSAFER -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -r600x600 \
		-sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- - && exit 0
	exit 2

The "ljet4" produces PCL, it can also be used to access
features like duplexer (add -dDuplex=true). It basically
does the same as the apsfilter filter, except that the
apsfilter one has support for "pretty printing" and
direct command line printing, so

	% lpr foo.c

or

	% lpr bar.png

can be issued directly, no need to create a PS stream
by another application.

You can easily add that filter to /etc/printcap's if= setting,
add rm= with the IP or hostname of the printer, prepare the
spool and it should work.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany