Access to Time Warner cable network

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Sun Apr 1 02:35:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sunday 01 April 2012 06:52:48 Fbsd8 wrote:
> Just purchased an account on the northern Ohio Time Warner cable system.
> Having problem connecting to their service. Seems their dhcp server has
> an ip address of 10.2.0.1 which is not public routable. I know my
> Freebsd 8.2 box functions because it worked fine under att service which
> I just left for Time Warner service. MY xp laptop works fine with time
> warner. I can see that during the connection hand shake they first issue
> ip addresses 192.168.x.x then end up with real public routable ip
> address for dns and my ip address. Just the dhcp ip is 10.2.0.1. XP
> seems to handle this connection hand shake ok.

this seems to work like my ISP. I have at the end a private IP address in the range 10.x.y.z. They do the translation when needed for me. Of course, my machine is not accessible from outside.

What confuses me is that your XP machine gets a 192.168 address between. How can it access the DHCP then? Can you try to limit the address range to 10.x.y.z during the negotiation phase?

How do you connect to the cable? Is there some kind of a 'modem'?

Erich