Installing FreeBSD 9 on an AMD 64 with 16 GB of memory

claudiu vasadi claudiu.vasadi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 10:23:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

I installed FreeBSD8.2 amd64 the other day on a 98GB RAM machine with 24
CPU's (a supermicro 2U server). Due to this alone, I doubt that the
bootloader is limited in any way by the amount of RAM the machine has.

However, I experienced the same behavior on several "small" machines (normal
PC's) and in most cases, the controller was the culprit.
I see you have LSI raid module ...... weird, I installed several 8.2's on
several servers with LSI raid modules.
I cannot think of anything right now as the situations I've experienced in
the past were solved symply by removing the raid controller from the machine
or configuring all hdd's as single disks. Reading your post again, I see
you've already done this.

Out of ideas at this point really.
sorry.