rsync over nfs or rsync protocol

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Fri Sep 23 21:31:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I am looking into finally setting up a backup solution that's a little
> more sophisticated than a bunch of DVD-RWs.  I have two servers.  I'd
> like to make each a backup server for the other.  I'm considering using
> rsync.
>
> Is rsync a good choice for a backup tool?
> Should I use the rsyncd or should I use NFS?  I'm using 100 mbps ethernet.
> What's the better solution I haven't considered?

We use rsync extensively for backups on local LANs as well as
off-site via the 'Net.

My experience using NFS for this was not good, but it's been many
years since I last tried this so I don't remember the details.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Windows is a computer virus with a user interface!!