Using ports and packages together (or, how do I get mod_php5 ? )

Jason C. Wells jcw at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 20 13:28:53 UTC 2011

On 09/20/11 01:23, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> 'Latest' packages are built for each updated port + OS version +
> architecture combination whenever resources are available on the build
> cluster.  Typically that implies a delay of a few days or a week or so
> after the update hits the ports CVS.  Yes, if you install the latest
> pkgs everything should still remain consistent -- but that means you
> should install all of the available updates: picking and choosing is the
> route to tears before bedtime[*].
For my part, I plan to update all.  I have decided over the years that
letting the FreeBSD project manage my ports versions for me is the way
to happiness.  Roll-your-own is a thing of my past.

That said, updating onesy-twosy has only caused me a manageable amount
of grief.  The problem is the timing.  It is always before bed, or
before my paper is due, and openoffice is griping about something do
with java and java is now done differently than it has been... Like I
said, updating onesy-twosy can be a serious PITA.

Later,
Jason