OpenLDAP + CARP

Rafael NAVAZA rnavaza at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:02:49 UTC 2011

Thank you for the reply Matthew.

I'm indeed using the built in
failover capability of LDAP clients. It works just fine when the first
LDAP server is powered off, but it does not work that well when slapd
becomes a zombi ( because the clients take about 1 min to try the second
 LDAP server, for each request, every time ... )
It is for that reason I'm interested in building a HA cluster for OpenLDAP.

I'm
 currently using the single-master replication and I will certainly move
 to a mirrormode or a n-way multimaster replication schema (as long as
the multimaster is used with CARP, this mode is equivalent to a
mirrormode with more than 2 replicas, isn't it ?).

As far as I
know CARP will not check if the slapd is running correctly; that could
be a problem if the CARP Master has a failing slapd. Do I have to
monitor slapd with a third party software (like Monit) ? Can I configure
 CARP and OpenLDAP to watch each other more closely ?

Rafael.