Using ports and packages together (or, how do I get mod_php5 ? )

Jason C. Wells jcw at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 20 04:33:23 UTC 2011

On 09/19/11 13:56, Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>
>> I'm concerned that, if I have some packages built from ports and some
>> installed from the release, that the system will become unstable if
>> things get too out of sync.

I noticed only recently that there are now packages on FTP in a folder
called packages-8-stable.  I am not sure how often these are built.  I
expect that the entire ports tree is built much like it is during a
release, except at some later point in time.  I would expect that those
ports are all "dependency consistent" with each other to the maximum
extent possible.

I also prefer packages to ports, but there are a few updates to ports
that I want now (xorg, xfce, rhythmbox), but I really don't want to try
9.0 when it becomes a release.

I plan to upgrade my packages to 8-stable from this directory in a
couple weeks. Maybe this policy will work for you.

Later,
Jason