Why selecting text with mouse often doesn't make the text pasteable with mouse mid-button click?

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Sun Sep 18 20:58:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:29:32PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 01:28:18PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > > >

> > > Test selected in Konsole I usually paste into Konsole. and it fails
> > > maybe in 5-10% of cases.
> >
> > hmm - no good guesses there.  It could be an overactive Window manager
> > grabbing the focus away at the wrong point (it's a nuisance on Mac OS X
> > for instance).  If it were a consistent problem with pasting into a
> > given application, I had a couple of ideas...
> >
> > (consistent problems are easier to fix ;-)
>
> Now you mentioned it, I see something similar.
> I typically paste from one xterm window to another.
> Typically one xterm is the local box and another
> xterm is some ssh session.

this part could be xterm, but more likely is in the X server.

An xterm-specific problem tends to be pretty reproducible, since it'll
depend on what the source/destination are.  (The ones that aren't are
related to timing and repainting - things like that).

> What I see on amd64 laptop is that pasting with a built-in
> mouse stops working after a while. I typically have
> a usb mouse as well. Pasting with a usb mouse never fails.
>
> I can copy with a built-in mouse and paste with a usb mouse.
> Because in the end I get done what I need, I never
> really bothered to think why.
>
> Next time this happens, I'll try to record the
> exact details, if you are interested.

hmm - I'm not sure I can use the information effectively.  Right now I'm setup
with a KVM using USB for a Mac OS X server, with a laptop running Xen Server
(which gets its mouse via the X connection).  Both of those run VM's, which is
where I do most of my work...  (the hardware stays stable for quite a while).

The KVM's used to occasionally access a desktop.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net