9.0 bata2 & keymap

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 18 09:04:29 UTC 2011

Hello, Chris.
You wrote 18 сентября 2011 г., 12:03:34:

> I had read the rest of your post, and found it rather difficult to
> follow. The fact remains that every other installer I have ever used
> gives the user the choice of keymap, so I don't really understand your
> problem.
 IMHO, main problem is, that in bsdinstall it is completely unclear
how to have English keymap and other one and switch between them.
 For example, it is very natural to select "Russian" in Russia, but,
nobody (ok, may be ALMOST nobody) in Russia want to enter Russian
hostname, usernames and root password. And it is completely unobvious
how to switch back to English after selecting Russian keymap.

 I think, other national keymaps have exactly same problem. And if
Western-European ones allow to enter basic ASCII letters (and only
add some diacritics, and, maybe, alert keys placement, like Z-A swap),
and things like Dvorak allows it too (for sure!), but more specific
national keymaps doesn't contain ASCII (Latin) letters at all.

 IMHO, selecting one and only one keymap without selecting at leas
two of them and switching key have very limited use. It could be used
to select variants of English maps (QWERTY vs Dvorak, different
placement of additional characters, etc) and to select Latin-based
maps with some extended characters.

 All other (Russian and other Cyrillic, Japan, Arabic, etc.,) need TWO
keymaps right at installation time and configurable/known way to
switch between them.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>