FS of choice for max random iops ( Maildir )

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:15:49 UTC 2011

freebsd at top-consulting.net schreef:
> I have a new server that I would like to use as a back-end Maildir
> storage shared through NFS. The specs are:
>
> FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 2
> Xeon x3470 @ 2.93 quad-core CPU
> 4 GB Ram @ 1333mhz ( upgrading to 12GB tomorrow )
> 3WARE 9650SE-16LP card with write cache enabled ( battery is installed )
> 16 x WD RE3 1TB drives
> RAID 10 setup
>
> Right now I defined an entire array of 8TB ( all 16 disks ) separated
> in two pieces. 50 GB for FreeBSD to boot and the rest available to
> configure as storage.
>
> I've tried three options for the storage file system but I'm not sure
> which one is the best option since I can't really reproduce production
> conditions. I only ran tests with dd and bonnie and here's what I found:
>
> A. TEST1: dd bs=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/data/t1 count=1M
>
> 1. ZFS performed the worst, averaging 67MB/sec
> 2. UFS + gjournal did around 130MB/sec
> 3. UFS did around 190MB/sec
>
> B. TEST2 ( random file creation ): bonnie++ -d /data -c 10 -s 0 -n 50
> -u 0
>
> 1. UFS + gjournal performed the worst
> 2. ZFS performed somewhat better
> 3. UFS performed the best again ( about 50% better )
>
> C. TEST3 ( sequential writing ): bonnie++ -d /data -c 10 -s 8088 -n 0
> -u 0
>
> 1. UFS + gjournal crashed the box
> 2. ZFS performed average
> 3. UFS performed better than ZFS ( about 50% better )
>

> I really like the concepts behind ZFS and UFS + Journaling but the
> performance hit is quite drastic when compared to UFS.
>
> What I'm looking for here is max IOPS when doing random read/writes.
> Is UFS the best choice for this ? Do my results make sense ?

Did you use raidz1 2 or 3 or mirror for the ZFS ppol.
I believe that ZFS mirror gives you the best performance, but the least
actual space.

If you did make a raidz[1,2,3] try it with a mirror pool.

Also do not use the raid function of your raid controller if you use
ZFS, this way you loose the goodies of zfs.
If you setup ZFS use JBOD on the raid controller.

Gr
Johan