FreeBSD 8.2 Partition Sizing question

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 15 10:09:56 UTC 2011

I can't really see the rationale for putting / and /usr on separate partitions.

Swap would go on a different partition because it does not use the same file system.

I like to put /home on a separate partition, and don't like the idea of /usr/home.

I also don't like to put /var and /tmp on separate partitions: problems with size and fitting the disk space.

Putting /home on a separate partition allows the whole system to be upgraded, even newfs and reinstall, without touching user data.

Tom