Crash when copying large files

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Tue Sep 13 03:43:30 UTC 2011

Hello Chuck!

> How big are your multi-GB files, anyway?

They are approximately between 1 and 4 GB.

> If you want a workaround to avoid the crash, consider using either
> rsync or dump/restore to copy the filesystem, rather than using tar.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try rsync. The initial idea I had was
copy most of the files (which are fairly static) over with tar, which
takes ca 1.5 hours, and then run rsync to catch these changes that had
happened during that 1.5h period. I may as well just use rsync for the
entire process.

Past experience on other FreeBSD systems has taught me to avoid
dump/restore for large filesystems, because it seems to be an order of
magnitude slower than tar.

--
Toomas Aas