KVM switch with FreeBSD-8.2

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Sun Sep 11 22:29:02 UTC 2011

--As of September 11, 2011 9:03:17 AM -0400, Carmel is alleged to have said:

> I am thinking of using a "TRENDnet 2-Port DVI USB KVM Switch Kit with
> Audio TK-214i" with a FreeBSD-8.2 amd64 PC and a Windows 7 machine. I
> presently have a Samsung 24" digital monitor and a Logitech S510
> cordless keyboard & mouse combination. The keyboard, mouse and monitor
> presently work fine on FreeBSD.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with using KVM
> switches with FreeBSD and what that experience might be. I would really
> like to integrate these two PC into using just one common monitor,
> etcetera mostly due to space considerations.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

In my experience, the OS isn't all that relevant.  The main question is if
the hardware works well together.  Many KVMs don't do a great job of
emulating a connection if the computer isn't the currently active one, and
this can cause problems when something wants to see if a monitor is present
(and wants to check what it's specs are), but that's not a FreeBSD problem
per se: It's just a problem with the hardware.

I'm sorry I don't have any good, cheap, KVM recommendations at this time.
Enterprize-grade hardware usually doesn't have this problem (although it
might), and I haven't needed to use a small KVM for a while.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.