Can't log in as toor since package update

Lars Eighner lars at larseighner.com
Fri Sep 9 13:29:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Paul Keusemann wrote:

> I use the toor login on my FreeBSD systems to log in with the korn shell.
> Since August 22, When I try to log in as toor or even when I try to "su -
> toor", I get logged in as root.  For example:
>
> ushers# ssh -l toor woodstock
>
> Password:
>
> Last login: Fri Sep  9 06:30:23 2011 from 172.16.175.216
>
> Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
>
>        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>
> FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1 (WOODSTOCK) #1: Mon Jul 11 09:05:07 CDT 2011
>
> woodstock# who am i
>
> root             0        Sep  9 07:46

This has been entirely normal since I have been using toor - sometime
around 5.X.

Toor is root. If you are not in your korn shell, you should check that
it is install and the path is correct in passwd.

If you have been running at toor with the thought that somehow it is better
than running as root, you are mistaken.  You should have a normal user
account to use for most everyday tasks.  You can put that user in the wheel
group if you want to be able to su to root.

> woodstock# su - toor
>
> woodstock# who am i
>
> root             0        Sep  9 07:47

> Unfortunately, I haven't tried to log in since a package update I did around
> August 22, so I didn't notice this problem until now.  Does anybody have any
> idea what might be causing this?

The fact that user 0 is root to the system.  Calling it toor to use an
alternate shell does not change that.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html