Re-create MBR

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Sep 5 13:53:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:26:38 +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I had to install Linux to participate in a project I was involved with.
> Now is all finished I have restored the partition but now
> need a 3bsd boot sector back. Scheme is ;
>
> 0 Primary XP
> 0 Extended FAT32
> 1 Primary FreeBSD
>
> Approx 1/3 disc for each. How can I restore the 3bsd
> boot sector?

See "man fdisk". In your case - depending on device names
you are currently using - something _like this_ should do
the trick:

	# fdisk -B /dev/ad0s2

I think you can also use the sysinstall Partition screen
to update the boot sector (make no change to the slice
listing, maybe mark the FreeBSD slice as "active", then
exit the screen and choose either "standard MBR" or the
"boot manager" depending on your requirements).

As I'm not a multi-boot person, I can't be more specific,
sorry.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany