Cutting sendmail out of the loop

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Sun Sep 4 18:01:04 UTC 2011

I'm creating some small FreeBSD servers that shouldn't be able to
send mail to, or receive mail from, the outside world. I was
originally just going to set sendmail_enable="NONE" in /etc/rc.conf
and turn off the mailing of output from various utilities (e.g.
cron), but alas there seem to be a few programs I may need to run
that insist upon sending mail. So, I'd like to see if I can set up
local delivery of mail without invoking the memory- and cpu-hungry
program that is sendmail. I'm therefore wondering what would happen
if I just put /usr/libexec.mail.local in as "sendmail" and
"send-mail" in mailer.conf and leaving out the rest of the entries.
Does anyone on the list have experience with doing this or
something similar? Sendmail has a lot of command line options that
mail.local does not, but they seem to be rarely invoked by programs
that do things such as mail output to a local user.

--Brett Glass