idletime in login.conf

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Oct 31 19:12:51 UTC 2011

Hi,
Reference:

Jason Helfman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:09:34AM -0500, Dan Nelson thus spake:

> >> Are these users that logged in after or before your change ?
> >>
> >> Obviously the idle timeout only applies to users who logged in after you
> >> adjusted the value and rebuilt the db.
> >
> >Actually, the idle timeout is not implemented in the base system.  It's
> >there in case someone writes a 3rd-party module that does idle detection.
> >See the login.conf manpage:
> >
> >RESERVED CAPABILITIES
> >     The following capabilities are reserved for the purposes indicated and
> >     may be supported by third-party software.  They are not implemented in
> >     the base system.
> >[...]
> >     idletime          time                Maximum idle time before logout.
> >

> You may want to look into /usr/ports/sysutils/doinkd for this. I use it on
> many systems, and it works remarkable well, and it is highly configurable.
>
> -jgh
>
> --
> Jason Helfman
> System Administrator

That was a useful tip, but people (inc. self) will not remember.
Suggestion: use send-pr to submit a diff to add
	SEE ALSO ports/sysutils/doinkd
to man login.conf

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.