The ports are really funcional?

Joe Gain joe.gain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 09:36:24 UTC 2011

I agree, the ports are *amazing*. Even when installing a major component
like kde4. If you have your base system set up correctly this very complex
task will generally complete flawlessly. For a first-time install you can
accept most of the default options when configuring, but it's probably not
a good idea to just blindly accept every default.

Experiment with the different port management software until you find
something which you like. Read the documentation about dealing with common
issues, making backups, saving compiler/ installation errors, etc.

If you are having many problems with ports which require few dependencies,
you may have a non-ports related issue of some kind.

My entire system is ports based and I belong more to the user than the
hacker class.

Good luck!