[OFFTOPIC] Solution for school lab

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Sun Oct 30 23:03:05 UTC 2011

On 30/10/2011 10:01, Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to setup a small PC lab for teaching operating systems. Since
> computers will need to be used for teaching
> Windows/Unix(FreeBsd)/Linux(Novell) I need to find a way:
>
> 1. Systems to coexists on the same hardware
> 2. Easily restore system images to the initial state.

1) A very robust if slightly more expensive way is a separate disk for
each OS. Many more recent (last 3 or 4 years?) motherboards have an
option during POST to choose a boot device so you don't need to go into
the BIOS setup screens.

This system has the advantage that OS's are completely separate from
each other.

2) Clonezilla.

(Not very relevant aside... Back in the day of pentium 1's and 2 dual
channel IDE controllers I solved this same problem with 3 hard disks,
each set to be master, on a home made IDE cable with an extra connector
so the three disks were plugged into the primary controller, and a 3
position rotary switch so only one disk would power up at a time. It
took a bit of experimentation to find three disks that could coexist but
it worked really well as long as one didn't switch over while the
machine was on. I think I had FreeBSD, Windows and Netware).

Chris