The ports are really funcional?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Oct 30 22:55:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011, Zantgo wrote:

> What happens is that I tried to install things on the ports, but
> almost no one serves me, I've only been able to install firefox, I
> tried also install KDE, GNOME and KFCE, but I have been many errors,
> commonly solocionables, for example I had to modify "REFRESH" to
> "true", but also to get out other errors, commonly have a solution,
> but is a great problem to have to spend all his time fixing bugs.
> Please tell me if it is natural to every time I download large
> modifying ports so, if so, then why say "functional"?

Yes, ports work well.  From the description, it's difficult to tell what
is causing the problem.  Please supply additional information, like what
version of FreeBSD and the exact output of one of the errors (script(1)
is useful for that).  Also see the section in the Handbook about
packages and ports:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Translations of the Handbook can be found at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/ in the books subdirectory.