Fast personal printing _without_ CUPS

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Oct 30 12:13:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 08:25:11 +0000
Frank Shute articulated:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 07:28:24AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> >
> > You cannot even get a decent "N - protocol" wireless device, or even
> > a not so decent one for that matter, to work on FreeBSD while the
> > rest of the world has had working solutions for 5 years. What the
> > hell are they waiting for -- the second coming of the invisible man
> > in the sky? Friggin PATHETIC.
>
> IEEE 802.11n-2009 was only published 2 years ago.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Timeline
>
> Can we have enough of you whining about no "n"? Thanks.

I was using the early "draft" 'N' protocol devices 5 years ago.
Obviously not in a FreeBSD environment. The time to start planning for
change is not when it slams you in the face, but rather anticipating it
and being prepared. There is no way any individual can claim that they
were not aware this was happening. Now, as you pointed out
"IEEE 802.11n-2009 was only published 2 years ago". So what is your
point --  that we should wait another 5 years before addressing the
problem? I am serious here; give me a time frame. Then post it on the
FreeBSD web site so potential users will be aware of this deficiency.
Or perhaps it is your belief that we should skip over this protocol
entirely and wait until the "Q" or whatever letter is designated
protocol is released. After all, it just stands to reason that at some
time in the future someone will devise a faster and/or more secure
method of wireless transmission.

The biggest loser in this is FreeBSD itself. Virtually any new PC or
laptop, with the exception of the bargain basement brands, and even
some of them are exempt, now come with "N" protocol wireless devices.
Any user who purchases one of these devices and plans on employing a
wireless network finds him/her self at a disadvantage. Their options
are to use a better OS, or buy and install a cheap "G" protocol device.
That is like buying a new car and slapping a ten year old motor in it.

I actually up to a few years ago had three FreeBSD machines hooked up
on my network not counting three separate laptops. I now only have one
machine because of the lack of suitable drivers. Once I get ambitious
this spring and rip out the last vestiges of hard wiring, that unit will
be gone too if drivers aren't available. Then I might try Ubuntu. Their
developers apparently do care about their user base.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.