Fast personal printing _without_ CUPS

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Oct 27 16:28:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:17:55 +0200, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > BUT: CUPS seems to be hardcoded into many applications
> > today. They stopped working with the non-CUPS default
> > system tools. An example is Opera. Another one is Gimp
> > which works with system lp* tools, but has hardcoded
> > queries to "lpstat" (a CUPS program that doesn't exist
> > or "cannot connect to the server"). The upcoming question
> > here is: WHY???
>
> (...)
>
> > CUPS also has program names that are derived from LPR's
> > competitor. The "lpstat" command is such an example, and
> > I think "lpadmin" also is.
>
> lpstat and lpadmin are standard SysV tools for printing.

Ah, thanks for reminding me to that fact. As I said, I
knew they came from "another system" which was different
from BSD's lpr / lpd / lpq / lprm tools.

> They existed LONG before CUPS:
>
> http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/print/sol_lp1.html
>
> Please note that there are two distinct toolsets for (traditional)
> UNIX printing:
>   * lpr tools for BSD printing
>   * lp tools for SysV printing
> Please don't call the BSD lpr toolset "lp tools", that's pretty
> confusing to us old-gen sysadmins. ;-)

I'll keep that in mind, thanks, and I hope to also grow
old as a sysadmin so I get educated properly to use the
correct terminology. :-)

toolsets = {
	lp	/* System V */
	lpr	/* BSD */
	CUPS	/* the future, the bright and happy future! */
}

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany