Can't access a music CD (or any other media now)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Oct 25 00:12:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:03:26 -0500, Michael D. Norwick wrote:
> On 10/24/11 13:24, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Try using:
> >
> > export CDDA_DEVICE=1,0,0
> > export CDR_DEVICE=1,0,0
> >
> > And see if your cdrtools at least work.  Audio CD playing apps still
> > have problems, though, unfortunately.
> >
> Thank You,
>
> Setting these environment variables had no effect on my machine.

Those variables are used by cdrecord, see "man cdrecord" for
details.

> $cdcontrol play 1 still produces drive activity but no sound.

The corresponding cdcontrol variable is $CDROM. If you've
got only one drive, you won't need it. If I remember
correctly, the first drive that's being detected will
be the default when -f <device> is omitted. See "man cdcontrol"
for details.

> The
> graphical apps I am trying such as Abraca, or MPlayer, still do not seem
> to recognize an audio CD.  Gnome Audio CD Extractor - Sound Juicer -
> still errors with 'No CD-ROM drives found' even though Metallica is in
> the drive.

"Even though"? Maybe "Because"! :-)

I'm not sure which device those programs will address.
In some cases, it helped to do "cdcontrol info" before
launching the program.

However, it's possible that some programs rely on the
presence of "track device files" /dev/acdXtYY which is
a mechanism _not_ provided by the /dev/cdX "SCSI" device.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany