Updating emacs fails

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Sun Oct 23 22:58:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 06:03:10PM +0200, John R. Levine wrote:

> >>Yup, that fixed it.  I'll file a bug report.  I tried rebuilding some
> >>of the packages that allegedly depend on the ncurses port, and they
> >>all seemed to work OK, so the right solution may be to deprecate the
> >>ncurses port or fold it into the mainline system.

ncurses is already in the base system - with different options.
See
	http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/tctest.html
for example.

> >The way it's supposed to work is that emacs will depend on (and link to)
> >ncurses if it's installed when the emacs port is built, and to the base
> >system curses if not.  I just did a quick test, and this was just what
> >did happen.  So at least part of the problem is local to your system...
>
> Did you try installing the ncurses port and then rebuilding emacs? For
> some reason the library in the ncurses port doesn't define the termcap
> routines, leading to the problem.

Whether or not the termcap routines are provided isn't configurable.
However, emacs could be confused since they're implemented on top
of terminfo.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net